UPDATE: Two busted for Moot CPF hit-and-run

Presented as written by Kayla van Petegem, journalist at Rekord Moot:

UPDATE: Two busted for Moot CPF hit-and-run

Pieter Vorster with police officers on the day he was released from hospital. Photo: Supplied

A man and woman were arrested last week for a recent hit-and-run incident in which a Moot CPF member was badly injured while manning a roadblock.

The 33-year-old man and his 29-year-old girlfriend were arrested last Thursday, according to police spokesperson Captain Anton Breedt.

“The two suspects were followed to Polokwane and Soshanguve,” he said.

The arrests came within less than a week after CPF member Pieter Vorster was injured when he tried to stop a vehicle at a roadblock on 7 June.

ALSO READ: UPDATE: Moot police seek help to trace hit and run culprit

The vehicle drove through the roadblock and hit Vorster in the process.

The roadblock was on the corner of Johan Heyns Road and Booysen Street.

Vorster sustained serious head and lower body injuries.

Breedt said police worked hard to find the suspects.

ALSO READ: UPDATE: Moot man hospitalised after hit-and-run

“The police have done everything in their power to find these suspects and worked around the clock,” he said.

“All possible clues were followed up.”

Breedt said three detectives worked on the case.

He said they could track the two suspects after receiving tip-off from the community and the CPF.

ALSO READ: Pedestrian dies in Moot hit and run

“The tip-off led us to a business premises in Polokwane, where the man was arrested,” he said.

“His girlfriend was then arrested in Soshanguve.”

The two will appear before the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday.

CPF chairperson Elsabe van Staden said she was happy with the quick arrest.

Pieter Vorster in hospital. Photo: Supplied

“I don’t have words to thank every CPF member for their tireless work around the clock to help police find these offenders,” she said.

Van Staden also expressed her gratitude to the police officers.

Acting station commander Lieutenant Colonel Marius Claasen thanked the police officers for their good work, as well as the community’s role in finding the suspects.

Van Staden said Vorster was discharged from Unitas hospital in Centurion on Wednesday afternoon.

He went back to work on Tuesday.

Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

Link to full article: https://rekordmoot.co.za/143007/update-two-busted-moot-cpf-hit-run/