Saturday 17 December 2016 12:01
The search for a man believed to have drowned in the sea at Port Alfred in the Eastern Cape continues on Saturday, says the National Sea Rescue Institute (NSRI).
NSRI Port Alfred duty crew dispatched the sea rescue craft Rescue 11 Alpha and a rescue vehicle to West Beach at 7.10pm on Friday evening following reports of men in difficulty in the surf being swept out to sea by rip currents, NSRI Port Alfred station commander Juan Pretorius said.
On arrival at the scene it was found that three men had been swept out to sea by rip-currents. Two men had managed to get out of the water and were treated by ambulance services paramedics for non-fatal drowning symptoms.
Both men, aged 27, believed to be from a Grahamstown military base, were transported to hospital by ambulance in stable condition for observation for secondary drowning symptoms and they were both expected to fully recover.
“An extensive search continued for one man who remained missing in the surf, aged 27, (also) believed to be from a Grahamstown military base, but despite an extensive search no sign of the missing man has been found and the SA Police Service and a police dive unit are continuing with an ongoing search operation,” Pretorius said.
Article is as seen online SABC News. GoVeza did not write the article and picture is as seen online.